Pastor’s Appreciation Month – Pray for the Watchers
In honor of Pastor’s Appreciation Month, let’s look at the role God has given pastors as watchmen
- A Watchman is defined as one who looks out, who spies, and who keeps guard
- As members of Jesus’ church, we are charged to pray for our watchman because of the awesome responsibility God has laid on them
Here are a few thoughts on Watchman from The Word…
First – “Watching is Important to God”
- In Ephesians 6:18 – Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints
- In Luke 12:37 – Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching:
- In Proberbs 8:34 – Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
Second – “Effective Watching plays an important role in the our Society”
- Watching is the act of observing closely and being on alert for signs that action or change is needed. Good watching is not passive but active.
- Within the human experience there are many examples of Watching – God has given Mothers & Fathers the role of watching over their children and later on Children are charged to watch over their elderly parents
- Farmers watch over crops, CEOs watch over the bottom line of a business, Teachers watch over students, and Mayors watch over cities,
- If any of these ‘watching’ roles are not being performed, the result is a lack of profitability whether – in our children, crops, businesses, or government
- The same for Jesus’ church. God has given Pastors the responsibility to watch over the souls of the people of God to ensure that we become profitable for the Kingdom of God.
Third – It is God that ordains the watchman
- In Isaiah 21:6, God tells Isaiah “Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.”
- In Ezekiah 3:17 – God tells Ezekial “Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.”
- It is God who gives watchmen in the form of pastors according to his heart to feed us with knowledge and understanding – Jeremiah 3:15
Fourth – Watchman can recognize things afar off
- In 2 Samuel 18:24-27, we find David sitting in his dwelling in the city at the request of his army while they have gone out to fight against David’s son Absalom and his forces.
- A Watchman is on the roof of the building watching and he sees a man running far away and says in verse 27 says ““It seems to me that the first one runs like Ahimaaz son of Zadok.”
Fifth – the Watchman has a special role in times of trouble
- In Ezekial 33:2 – 6 –God says “Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
- If when he seeth trouble coming upon the land and he warns the people and they don’t take heed, their blood shall be on their own head
- If the watchman sees trouble coming and does not warn the people, the people’s blood will be required at the watchman’s hand.
Lasty – the watchman does Never Works Alone
- In Psalms 127:1 we read “Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.” – Psalms 127:1 KJV
- Our Watchman is in cahoots with God to care for our Souls
Let us pray for our Watchman