Sunday School – The Call of Isaiah
Where are we in History?
In the last days of the divided kingdom of Israel (Northern 10 tribes) and Judah (southern Judah & Benjamin)
What was happening?
- King Uzziah who had had an overall glorious 50+ year reign as King of Judah but was now in his final years having been stricken with leprosy due to pride
- Assyria was on the scene as the major threat to the security of Israel & Judah. Isaiah was alive during their invasion of the Northern Tribes in 722.
- Isaiah was King Uzziah’s great-grandson
- He was called to be a prophet to the smaller southern kingdom of Judah which included both tribes of Judah & Benjamin
- Isaiah’s work spanned the reigns of four kings in Judah – Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Jotham, Hoshea
- Isaiah helped to prevent Judah’s captivity and exile by Assyria when the Assyrian king Sennacherib invaded the land during Hezekiah’s reign (2Kings 17-20, 2Chronicles 26-32, Isaiah 36-39).
What is God saying to us today?
- God is establishing a pattern in dealing with His people
- The Call
- The Cleansing
- The Commission
- God’s call has nothing to do with us and EVERYTHING to do with His divine will
- Romans 11:29 – For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
- Romans 5:8 – But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- God is responsible for The Call but we are responsible for The Response
- Matthew 22:14 – For many are called, but few are chosen. Why ? because we don’t respond in repentance
- O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not – Matthew 22:37
- God is not into making superstars and celebrities, he’s looking for workers, servants
- But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. – Matthew 23:11
- Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many – Matt 20:28
- Committ Yourself to God’s Call for You
- All of God’s callings are honorable
- Wherever you are today – that’s God’s call for you for this time!
- But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. – 1 Cor 12:18
- Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? – 1 Cor 12:29 – 30
- Whether God’s call for you is to be a a stay-at-home mother, a business owner, a teacher or volunteer with MIFA, to sing in the choir, Sunday school teacher, to work on the food committee, whether you like your current job or are looking for another one, whatever your assignment is – commit to it
- Remember Hebrews 6:10 – For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Recognize God’s Universal Callings
The Call to Believe
Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper. 2 Chronicles 20:20
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved – Acts 16:31 – Paul & Silas told the jailer after their miraculous release
- Love God – Thou shall love the lord thy god with all of your heart, soul, might, & strength
- Fear God & Keep His Commandments
- Recognize that there is a God and He has sent us a Savior in Jesus Christ
The Call to Community
Loving others as we love ourselves
The Call to Good Works
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. – Ephesians 2:10