A Father’s Love: A Balanced Relationship
Prov 13:24 – He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes
In 1 Samuel 7:14 & 15 – The Lord tells David through Nathan the prophet that his son will be the one to build the temple. He then says “and I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.
Jer 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you says God, plans of good and not of evil to give you a future and a hope
Jer 31:13 – I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee.
Jer 31:20 – “Is not Israel still my son, my darling child?” says the LORD. “I often have to punish him, but I still love him. That’s why I long for him and surely will have mercy on him.
Jer 31:36-37 – “I am as likely to reject my people Israel as I am to abolish the laws of nature!” Just as the heavens cannot be measured and the foundations of the earth cannot be explored, so I will not consider casting them away for the evil they have done.
- How much of the problems we’re seeing today are the result of children not having a balanced relationship with their Father or Mother
- Out of balance on either side causes problems – Leave out the discipline you get spoiled, unruly people – leave out the love you get
An Inside Job – It’s All About Jesus
Jer 31:33 & 34 – “But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,” says the LORD. “I will put my instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, ‘You should know the LORD.’ For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know me already,” says the LORD. “And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.”
Old – Tablets of Stone // New – Written in our hearts
- Hebrews 12:24 – Jesus Christ is the mediator of this new & living covenant
- John 1:12 – And as many as received Him, gave He the power to become the sons of God and to enter into this new covenental relationship of Father & Child that God wants to have with us
- Knowing God is not dependent upon vast intellectual genius but of a relationship with Him – walking with him day by day.
- When you live with a person you learn their character, how they speak and act. When others tell you things about that person that don’t mesh with what you know you can’t receive it – we say “that don’t sound like her”